Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Platform and Personality

It’s not an either/or statement. It does not end in a question mark. I’d like a president who stands for something and possesses the qualities to follow through. I’d like it for all our officials actually.

Previously, I placed a premium on platform. My teachers and friends kept pointing out its importance when I was still a formal student. It’s the usual reasons: issues not personality, The candidate’s stand, a plan of action is more important, must have clear goals. So for several years that’s what I looked at. After a few elections, I realized platform is not so important in this country. Let me risk the ire of educated political observers:

Platform is not so important in this country

Ok before I get lynched, understand there is a good reason for saying this. It’s because politicians lie. It’s not the only reason but let’s leave that for another time. To soothe some tempers:

It’s because politicians lie

I’ve seen some well presented very logical and well meaning platforms. Were they ever enacted? No. In many cases, not vigorously if there was ever an effort. By the time the politician got into office the ball game changed in his eyes. Once elected, he spent his energy defending or expanding his turf. And of course he had to exercise his power. After all, a person’s got to enjoy what he has right? To paraphrase Stan Lee: with great power comes the responsibility of using it to crush opposition.

So the politician will do and say anything to get into office. Then he can coast and do his own thing. If anyone dissents he can use his influence to silence them.

I’m not going to deify platform politics at this point. It can’t be the only criterion. The best bet should have decency and a good heart as well as a good platform. Having a plan does not magically make one willing to implement it. What’s the use of the best analysis and most masterful plan if the person has no intention of following through? Basically, I want someone who seems reasonably willing to work for the nation, to keep his political will, to be transparent, and to listen to the citizens. In short:

Let’s look for a decent person

This election, I will look for a person that seems decent and sane. If I see a likely candidate I’ll go look at his platform. Conversely, if I find an interesting platform I’ll go check out its champion. If the person is untrustworthy, that platform is near worthless.

I realize it will be difficult to ascertain a person’s character through observation. The alternative though is less acceptable. Having a good president will pretty much be a crap shot. Expect more of the same for the next 6 years. Same placebo government projects. Same political drama. Same graft and corruption. Wonderland is eternal.

No comments:

Post a Comment