Friday, December 4, 2009

The Philippines is a SPED Case

I attended the first Special Education Expo in Makati this Monday. One reason why I didn't get to post my platform on December 1. How sad. It would have been so much more dramatic...

As I sat there trying to make sense of topics far from my field, I realized that there was some connection after all.  A speaker commenting on the state of education in the country noted that a majority of school children should be deemed "At Risk" simply because of the high incidences of poverty, malnutrition, crime, emotional abuse and other contributing factors present in the country.

In that instance it dawned upon me that the entire country is actually a SPED Case. Think about it, the poverty, malnutrition, crime, etc. etc. affects everyone not just the students. It means we are not really able to absorb the lessons the should have educated our citizenry. It also explains why many Filipinos become productive responsible citizens outside the country. They are removed from the situation that places them at risk! That being the case, we should implement Special Education techniques to effectively help the nation to get its act together.

So using a SPED framework our approach must be adopted to the student. Given that the learners' situation is abnormal our usual methods will have diminished effectives. In short we must alter the following:

  • Content 
  • Method
  • Measures
Briefly we define these as:

Content - what we teach the learner. Some things may be more appropriate or less appropriate given the situation. What is taught should take in to consideration what the learner experiences.

Method - the system of delivering the content should be appropriate to the learner.

Measures - how we measure progress would also differ.

Since I am not a trained educator I think I'll consult with the experts I know. It might be worthwhile to see a development agenda in terms of the educational component. In any event, it should be interesting to see what experts come up with given a shift in paradigm.

No comments:

Post a Comment