Thursday, June 30, 2011

Children's Parties may cause Hearing Loss

Ever wonder how loud those children's parties are? I remember countless times I've attended one where the PA system's volume was set so high you couldn't have a conversation. That's dangerous. And yes I'm talking about you McDonalds, Jolibee, KFC and Shakeys. And it's not just restaurants. Other retailers can be guilty of this too.

Here's some info from Dangerous Decibels
  • A typical conversation occurs at 60 dB – not loud enough to cause damage.
  • A bulldozer that is idling (note that this is idling, not actively bulldozing) is loud enough at 85 dB that it can cause permanent damage after only 1 work day (8 hours).
  • When listening to music on earphones at a standard volume level 5, the sound generated reaches a level of 100 dB, loud enough to cause permanent damage after just 15 minutes per day!
  • A clap of thunder from a nearby storm (120 dB) or a gunshot (140-190 dB, depending on weapon), can both cause immediate damage.
Prolonged exposure to loud noises can cause Noise Induced Hearing Loss or NIHL. If I find that personal conversation is drowned out by the music or the announcer's voice I ask that they turn down the volume. It's obviously above 60 dB and I don't want  to risk it being at 85 dB. Aside from me there are children in the room. Their ears, especially those of babies, are not as developed as adult ears. I don't want to be responsible for their hearing loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment